“Managing a Collection” - this virtual learning course will give you a comprehensive overview of how to build and care for a collection, whether it be fine art masterpieces or a personal collection of antiques, or anything else.
With special insights and a 'behind the scenes’ look at highly important private collections, museums and trusts you will learn how to record, catalogue and photograph a collection to the highest professional standards, as well as how to maintain the conservation, insurance, loans, shipping and auditing of a collection over time.
What you will learn:
- You will be familiar with UK SPECTRUM standards of collections care and how to meet them
- You will have learned how to care for your own art collection
- You will know what to expect from shippers, insurers, and museums in relation to your collection
- You will be to confidently talk about collections management
- You will gain practically applicable knowledge, useful for furthering careers in museums and the art world
Geoff Lowsley has been the Collection Manager for the private art collections of Mr Valentino Garavani and Mr Giancarlo Giammetti (founders of the fashion house“Valentino”) since 2013, managing their significant collection of fine art and antiques across 10 properties globally. He studied Archaeology and Ancient History at the University of Durham before starting his professional career working in two London auction houses. He has specialised in collections management through roles in the National Trust, training staff in the London and South East region in inventory work, and at the Courtauld Gallery managing the digital collection and the art gallery’s collection system. He has been a regular contributor to the archaeology magazine “Minerva”, given talks and panel discussions and has provided consultancy for a number of museums, trusts and private collections.
Image Credit: Diane Picchiottino, Unsplash