Christie’s Education is a specialist institution internationally recognized as a center of academic excellence, specialising in the study of art business and the art market, art history and art world ecosystems, curating and connoisseurship. Our teaching philosophy is rooted in a knowledge culture that respects original enquiry and learning and that reflects a commitment to principles of equality, diversity and inclusivity.
Christie’s Education offers a wide range of continuing education opportunities in, New York, London and Asia, designed to introduce the fundamentals of art, collecting and art business, as well as advanced courses for those with an appetite to study at a deeper level. In addition, our online courses provide a fully immersive experience of the art world, enabling anyone in the world to access learning from any location.
Founded in London in 1978, the original mission of Christie’s Education, was to provide a general introduction to the fine and decorative arts through ‘The Christie’s Fine Arts Course’, which was designed to enhance the appreciation of works then offered through auction by our parent company. Since those early days, we have evolved and progressed and now we look forward to a new phase in our development as a specialist graduate institution.
Christie's Education is a for-profit institution wholly owned by the Christie's International PLC group of companies (Christie's).
Christie’s Education was founded in London in 1978, and expanded to New York in 1993. As one of the major art centers in the world, New York is the ideal place to study modern and contemporary art, and the art business. Our central location in the landmark Rockefeller Center gives you unique access to the art world, from Christie’s auction house, to public and private collections. You will meet art world professionals such as auction house specialists, dealers, art advisors, and museum staff. You will have the opportunity to experience a hands-on approach to studying inside and outside of the classroom and learn the business of art directly from art world professionals.
All of our courses provide a crucial insight into the art market, with a focus on modern and contemporary art, as well as the skills necessary to enter the global art marketplace. Each offering is designed to promote curiosity and is unique in developing knowledge through practical skills and experience. Our students are taught by a range of experts in the art world.
Christie’s Education in New York offers you an unparalleled set of resources for professional training, academic learning and personal growth through study of the arts and their markets.
Christie’s Education Asia, with Hong Kong as its headquarters, offers short courses and bespoke options to art enthusiasts, professionals, practitioners and collectors throughout the year. With rich resources from Christie’s, art institutions and universities, we complement our course lectures with market discussions, visits to artists’ studios, private collections, galleries, museums, and auction previews. Our programs cover extensive and diverse topics, from Asian Contemporary Art and Chinese Works of Art, to Jewelry, Art Law, and Art Business, and are offered in both English and Chinese.
Christie’s Education Asia has successfully partnered with top business schools and universities, including the University of Hong Kong, China Europe International Business School and Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business. These joint programs have been designed to help participants navigate the art world, and have taken place in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan and overseas.
The History of Christie's Education
Founded in London in 1978, Christie’s Education has evolved into a leading international art institute with campuses located in the cultural centers of New York and Hong Kong. The institute has expanded its core educational offering over the years to include Master's degree programs, continuing education and online learning, specializing in all facets of the global art world.
Timeline of Key Dates
- 1978 – Christie’s Education was conceived in London by the auction house to promote the study of the global art market through hands-on experience of works of art and art world practice, the first course was ‘The Christie’s Fine Arts Course’
- 1993 – Christie’s Education expands internationally by establishing the institute in New York, offering the Master’s and Certificate program in Modern and Contemporary Art
- 1990s – Christie’s Education was established in Asia, initially offering courses in Hong Kong to coincide with the major international sales and fairs in the late 1990s
- 1998 – Christie’s Education introduces the first art business course in London pioneering art business education in the United Kingdom
- 2008 – Christie’s Education London partners with the University of Glasgow to offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs specializing in art history
- 2010 – The first Art Business Certificate program is launched in New York making it one of the first programs of its kind in the industry in the United States
- 2013 – Christie’s Education London introduces the postgraduate program MSc Art, Law and Business pioneering art business in higher education in the United Kingdom
- 2016 – Christie’s Education New York expands graduate program offering to include the M.A. in Art, Law and Business after the success of the program in London
- 2017 – Christie’s Education online courses launches offering students the flexibility to learn about the art world from any location, and Christie’s Education postgraduate program in London become accredited with The Open University
- 2019 – Christie’s Education launches the postgraduate degree program MA Art History and Art World Practice in London
- 2020- Christie's Education moves to King Street where its primary focus is on Continuing Education and Online
- 2022 - Christie's Education introduces - Christie's Art Tours to Florence, Amsterdam and Paris - now expanding to the Americas and Asian Region